Endorsement: Hugo Soto-Martínez for Los Angeles City Council District 13
Hugo Soto-Martínez is an attorney representing business interests and community leaders. He believes strongly in open and transparent government. He is a lifelong resident of Los Angeles County. He is the eldest son of a Mexican immigrant father and a U.S. citizen mother. He has been engaged in public service as a community organizer, a nonprofit fundraiser, and an attorney representing community organizations and businesses in numerous disputes before the Public Utilities Commission and other agencies and courts in the past ten years. He has worked with community organizations and has been a founder of many organizations and campaigns. He lives in South Gate with his wife and two sons.
Los Angeles City Council District 13: Hugo Soto-Martínez
(1) Elected in 2011, he was first elected in 2010.
District 13 has the lowest turnout in the City of Los Angeles.
(2) While the district is represented in the Council by one person, it also contains much of the poorest wards and areas of the City.
(3) He lost in 2012 in a Democratic primary to a non-incumbent.
(4) Voters in the district elected him on election night in 2008 for first term.
(5) He was first elected in 2010.
(6) In 2011, his primary opponent was a Tea Party candidate.
(7) He was elected a judge on the Court of Appeal at the age of 29, after serving as city attorney since 2004.
(8) He was elected to Congress in the general election held on November 4, 1994.
(9) He was elected to Congress in the 2004 election and he was re-elected in 2006, 2008, and 2010.
(10) He served as attorney general of California from 1997-2001.
(11) He served as California secretary of State from 1994 to 2000.
(12) He and his wife were the first persons elected to the Board of